Saturday, November 08, 2008

My Ah Kong and Ah Poh are here =)

since last Saturday. Been seeing them for the past 2 weekends now!



SW: To me, this photo is truly a M-I-R-A-C-L-E! WOW~!

Why?

SW: because there are 3 people in the photo!! Ah Kong, my 13 y.o couz Jessica, & Ah Poh

So?

SW: The last time I tried to take a photo like that (i.e. substitute my cousin with me) some years ago, Ah Poh said cannot! --> superstition of having 3 in a photo which I don't understand why which my mother started doing too when I tried to take a photo of my sis, me and her!

And then, what happened last Saturday? I was going to take a photo of both my grandparents alone and then, Ah Poh (by her OWN initiative) called Jessica to come into the photo. Oh my goodnesss - i really wonder what changed...I didn't even ask WHAT HAPPENED lest I break the wonder of this miracle. =P I should have asked today when I saw her but I forgot...i will next time.

Ah Poh gave in to my insistence on wearing the hat (After I kept placing the hat on her head a few times hahah) so I could take a funny photo of her...and even played along with me and went to dress up! hahahha

Ah Poh is so funnny...teasing Ah Poh is fun

Group photo :) Unfortunately, Aunty Kim couldn't join us coz she was working that day.

Finally, the next day, all of us in Sydney could be together. They came over to our place and we had yummy laksa which Aunty Kim cooked =)

It's been really nice hanging out with my grandparents. We went to the shops in Hurstville, walked around a bit, just sat at home and had dinner etc. I just sat around as Ah Poh folded the clothes and talked to me. She has been making me speak Hakka - stop speaking English...speak Hakka! - and of all the few chinese dialects I can speak (all spoken horribly), Hakka is the WORST. And supposedly she said I could speak it when i was younger...when I used to go to her house a lot. Sighh..what happened?...So HopeLESS...But today, I decided I needed to make more of an attempt to improve, so I brought a notebook to write since I see things better in writing. I even had a short session with her on how to say some words that involved time and wrote them down. She thought I was funny. I even took a video of them on my phone at a few instances. She looked at me funny and I told her why I was doing that. So I could listen to them speak Hakka when they're not around lohh! She thought that was funny too..haha

There's something different about how I feel for my grandparents now...I just look at them, and I just feel like I care for them more now and I feel more able to. They're the ones in a foreign land and they're getting even older. It's like when I was younger and I thought they were "always" going to be there as my grandparents and they're still here...but ...how long more?

Ah Kong always wants to buy us food to eat (like my other Ah Kong too who is not alive anymore.) and today as I was leaving, he wanted to come downstairs to see me off even though I said it was okay... I'm big girl now!2x y.o, okay! ... but as I was driving off, saw my aunty come downstairs (Sent by him I think) and she said he was going to watch me from the balcony. I don't know, felt kinda touched ...even though I realise now that this is not the first time he does this.

The worse thing about having your grandparents still around (unlike those of us who never got a chance to know ours) is learning how to cope the day we discover they're no longer around.

1 comment:

Miat said...

Woah! How'd you manage to get them posing in so many photos?????

M-I-R-A-C-L-E! Indeed!