Music: 一秒的安慰
List down anything that has been on your mind for the past 24 hours.
A lot.
Work was busy.
But I thought again a lot about my 3 weeks in Taiwan last July. As I flip through my photos, can't believe it was 11 months ago that I did all that. Boy, how fast does time fly.
I just talked again to 詠誼(yong3 yi2), aka Lily, on MSN - I find it a bit difficult chatting to her there coz my chinese typing skills isn't that fantastic - but thank goodness for online chinese-english-chinese dictionaries haha. She is getting married next month too! thinking about her, I am just reminded how I so enjoyed my time in Taiwan and my time with her. She is my friend's (in Oz) best friend in Taiwan btw.
I really enjoyed the time I got to study mandarin there, hang out and go to places with my group of Aussie friends I went to Taiwan with and the time when our calligraphy teacher took us for dinner and even to her place outside Taipei (in the country). I don't think I would ever find satisfaction in an overseas trip that just involves seeing places only, not even like exploring the wondrous sights of that country - it would need this but that wouldn't be enough.
I miss my time there. She told me a lot of Taiwanese stuff and I was forced to speak in Mandarin to her the whole time, which was really good for me. We did simple stuff and it was great. Just going to her place, her friends' place, going to her uni, her school, meeting her little brother, eating different things, seeing the area where she lived, it was great. I learned a lot from her, not only Mandarin, but just who she is. She works as a social worker, she volunteers every Saturday at an Internet helpline (i nearly went there!! disappointed i couldn't make it in the end), and the care she shows her autistic brother and she trusted me enough to let me meet him. I went to his autistic school to pick him up with her, and finally she said I could come to her house even though she does not like to show people the conditions of her home, and does not want to cause any awkwardness that would be displayed by her brother's mannerisms. Met her every week, and twice or trice a week the last 2 weeks.
Outside a small museum where she tried her best to explain to me and where I used a lot of brain energy trying to understand the history she was telling me...felt I learned so much just on that day!
No comments:
Post a Comment