Sunday, April 06, 2008

Thank God for this lovely weekend filled with many fruitful conversations. I feel the drag of going to work again tomorrow...sometimes (actually, these days it's been more than sometimes), I get into this "such work is so meaningless" kinda mood. I know I should change my attitude and really see the wonder in the work that I do because it is so interesting. Just imagine being in an ice-cream bar, let's say Gelatissimo and how technology is able to create different flavoured ice-creams NOT using the real thing. And I have in my hands, even more more more flavours i could try to put in the ice cream. Walnut, turkish delight, jaffa, nougat, chestnut (we have the best roasted chestnut flavour!! reminds me of roasted chestnuts from the markets, it is awesome!!), red bean, green bean, wasabi, etc..
But my job doesn't just involve me squirting flavours into the ice cream, we actually have to make the ice-cream (if i'm doing ice cream).

Yeah psyched myself up a bit. :)

But speaking to one of my old college friends about work and life on Saturday morning really made me feel what a messed up society we live in. She was the friend whom I was talking about a few posts ago who at the job she just resigned from, had a terrible working environment - sexual harassment and politics and all that. And just the nature of the working world, the manipulation and competitiveness to survive, to move higher. People who want you to "die". Jobs are never secure as she told me about a research person at uni who had been working there for so long and should have gotten a promotion but was made to leave by subtle devious means. I've never personally experienced such things but the weight of what she was saying seemed even more real to me then. She said what can we do but to just accept it, that's the way it is.

I thank God I don't have a job like hers where the days are just work, eat, sleep and weekends is for more sleep and cleaning the house/grocery shopping. A job that sucks life out of you.

What is wrong with this world? it's such a meaningless state pursuing meaningless things in life. Working for to pay the mortgage is a common thing to hear. Reality of life, or is it. I think my cousin is "drowning" in that now.

Anyway, what do I know.

I really enjoyed the time I could spend with my friend. We walked down to my old place and collected the bicycle that I had left there about 4-5 months ago. Thank goodness it was still relatively okay. And it was still there, I had been checking whenever I drove past that place. Just had to pump the tyres with some air (2 guys helped us while we were at the petrol station which was really kind since i couldn't get one tyre to pump up - acts of kindness, u know) and my friend says that I just need to oil the brakes and all that, but that's about it.

No comments: