Dear friends,
I'm going to be starting work as a laboratory technician at this flavour and ingredients company. It's a casual job, which means no benefits and not having to come in every weekday. But i'll be working every weekday for 2 weeks to start off commencing next Tuesday. It's actually a simple job, not requiring the academic qualifications I have....and I'll actually be assisting the food technologists in preparing the product samples they need (If you didn't know, I did a bachelor degree in Food Technology, so actually, i prefer their job). In the interview, he was telling me he's looking for someone who would be staying for awhile and not leave after a few months, all the hassles of conducting interviews and training....and I'm like uh huh...okay..... but honestly, of course I don't want to stay like that for too long. Anyway, it's going to be a good opportunity and experience to just learn from the people around me for sure. Being able to learn from my food technologist colleagues without the responsibilities they have.
When people ask me what I'm doing now, I've got a pretty standard answer. Ask me if you want to know what it is.
So saying that, I guess I'm pretty happy at the moment to be finally getting a job in the food industry! (And I don't mean retail or restaurants). Finally.....! something related to my degree. And I can modify my standard answer now :D
Many thanks to a friend of mine who's working there.
5 comments:
Thats really good coz! Your on your way! Just wait and you'll see all these other oportunities start to open up for you. Experience is a good thing!
I wish that's what would happen with me if I were wanting to do what I'm studying. You never know, you might eventually get promoted to do what they do.
And what is your standard answer anyway?
thanks my dear cousins for your words of encouragement! :D
my standard answer is : i'm working at a part-time job while looking for a full-time job and waiting for my permanent residency application to be approved.
That's a good answer.
My standard answer would probably be something along the lines of "I don't want to work full time... besides which I'm afraid of making that big step from easy, relatively mindless casual work to skilled, mind draining professional work which is basically because I'm also afraid that I won't be able to do what a person with my degree ought to be able to do." =P
But then, of course, I probably wouldn't actually say that. =P
ahh melissa....i feel the same way!!
u know, today i felt overly cautious and slow but i guess with time, we'll gain in confidence....And we'd probably have to take a few more of these first steps in our professional job lifetime, so it's good to practise!
In the end, skilled mind-draining professional work can turn out for the better...as in, skilled not-mind-&-physique draining. Maybe.
Post a Comment